First: a zine.
Then: some books.
May 2021: A new series of author interviews starting with Isabel Yap.
Gavin J. Grant and Kelly Link founded Small Beer Press together in the year 2000 to publish (mostly slightly weird) short story collections and novels. A short hand bio for the press might look like this:
- Small Beer Press was founded in 2000 and is run by Gavin J. Grant and Kelly Link.
- Head Brewmaster and CTO: Michael J. Deluca.
- Roaming Editor: Jedediah Berry.
- Publishes 6-10 books per year as Small Beer Press, Big Mouth House, and occasionally chapbooks and a zine.
- Our books are always printed on 30% post-consumer recycled paper — which is why we don’t use Lightning Source for short run reprints or publish books in the mass market format.
- We have an ebooksite for indie presses: Weightless Books.
- Our books have won the Locus, Hugo, Philip K. Dick, World Fantasy, Crawford, Norton, Neukom, Mythopoeic, Carl Brandon Parallax, and Shirley Jackson awards and have been chosen for the ALA BFYA and Over the Rainbow lists, best of year lists from the Washington Post, Buzzfeed, Kirkus Reviews, Publishers Weekly, and BookRiot, and have received starred reviews from Kirkus Reviews, Publishers Weekly, Booklist, and Library Journal.
- Audio books are available from Recorded Books, Listening Library, Tantor, and Blackstone.
A few older articles, interviews, news squibs, &c.
“The works Small Beer produces are so unique that they could come from nowhere else, a singularity that fosters the same kind of loyalty music buffs feel toward their favorite record labels.”
— Eugenia Williamson, Boston Globe
“All in the Family: Ig Publishing, Two Dollar Radio, and Small Beer Press”
Poets & Writers, Nov./Dec., 2012
World Fantasy Award 2009 for Small Beer Press & Big Mouth House
“They have a knack for putting out books that are different from just about everything else.”– MassLive, May 19, 2007
Kate Wilhelm’s Storyteller wins the 2006 Hugo and Locus Awards
“Make it Weird,” Boston Globe, October 8, 2006
Small Beer on the Rise, Publishers Weekly, June, 2004
Feature article in Poets & Writers, Sept./Oct. 2002
Bookweb/Bookselling This Week, “Small Beer Press Makes a Heady Debut“, July 19, 2001